[Tagging] landuse=residential and named residential areas which belong together (neighbourhoods/subdivisions?)

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 10:05:38 BST 2011

On 8/30/2011 4:13 AM, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> On 08/29/2011 04:59 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>> IMHO this is exactly driving us into a multipolygon mess, hard to edit
>> and timeconsuming to use, with unneeded complexity.
> What would you think about a stacked approach?
[snip]

Mapnik essentially uses a stacked approach, sorted by polygon area (for
not only landuse but stuff like amenity=parking in landuse=retail - I
hope nobody is suggesting that parking lots be inner ways). For any two
polygons where one lies inside the other, I don't think explicit
stacking values are necessary, and cases where areas cross are rare (but
parking lots may be an example, if two adjacent parking lots in
different landuse areas are coordinated as one big parking lot).