[Tagging] landuse=residential and named residential areas which belong together (neighbourhoods/subdivisions?)

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Wed Aug 31 11:10:38 BST 2011

> 2011/8/30 Dave F.<davefox at madasafish.com>:
>> If using an area polygon ,suburbs etc should be tagged with boundary=.
>> Suburbs include residential, schools&  golf courses etc.
> -1, IMHO we are using place for this. There is no need to use boundary.
> See here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:place

There appears to be a possibility of cross-over:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:admin_level#admin_level

Not 100% sure, but I thought place= was devised to be used as a POI to
display the name of the area at user selected position. It avoided the
problem (& still does) of the name label of an area rendering on top of
other items or even outside the polygon.

Dave F.