[Tagging] landuse=residential and named residential areas which belong together (neighbourhoods/subdivisions?)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 14:03:14 BST 2011

2011/8/31 Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com>:
> I thought the issue was that there are two distinct concepts:
>  boundaries, where there is some legal distinction and a precise edge

+1

>  place names, which have more or less indistinct boundaries.

just because they have no legal status does not mean there aren't
distinct limits. Usually / often there are. There can be natural
limits (cliffs, rivers, lakes, woods, ...) and man_made limits (big
streets and motorways, railways, ...), the limits might also be soft
or social / cultural / ethnic / economic / structural / typological /
historic, ...

> In my area, towns have boundaries, and there are village centers that
> have names like "West Acton" which have as far as I know no actual
> boundaries and no legal standing.

Try to analyze it. Where might "West Acton" end? Maybe you can come to
a conclusion, it might also remain unclear for the moment where
exactly it ends (try to look for limits like the above examples) but
it will be clear for some parts that they definitely do form a part of
"West Acton".

cheers,
Martin