[Tagging] RFC: place=neighbourhood

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Wed Aug 31 18:54:47 BST 2011

On Wed, 2011-08-31 at 06:43 -0500, John F. Eldredge wrote:

> The same situations occur in the USA.  Neighborhood names can also
> shift over time.  My neighborhood shows up on maps as "Murray
> Heights", probably dating back to the original real-estate development
> in the 1950's.  In the 19 years I have lived here, I have never heard
> anyone call it by that name, but I have heard it referred to by the
> names of the two larger, adjacent neighborhoods.

Another one that has occurred... in Portland (which has formalized
district names and boundaries), the Boise District and the Eliot
District were distinct when I was born (hence why Eliot is my middle
name, being the neighborhood I was born into).  Then the Rose Quarter
District split from the Boise District when the Rose Garden Arena was
built.  The remainder of Boise merged with the Eliot District to form
Boise-Eliot.

The wisdom of building a FUGLY, hat-boxed shaped massive stadium next
door to a massive stadium on city loans for a private interest owned by
a Microsoft bazillionaire, bulldozing half of a historic Edwardian-era
and primarily low-cost housing area in a city that really lacks history
or low cost housing, has yet to be addressed by anyone; one of the
reasons why I really have to get out of this stupid city...