[Tagging] Wheelchair ramp

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Thu Dec 1 15:06:50 GMT 2011

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 5:33 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/11/30 Martijn van Exel <m at rtijn.org>:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is there a specific tag for a wheelchair ramp that is not part of a
>> steps feature?
>

> I generally use a dedicated way and tag it highway=footway
>
> IMHO they do deserve a dedicated way because they constitute a
> separate way, usually separated with a railing. If you wanted you
> could a some incline tags but IMHO that's pointless and might be even
> harmfull, because it might seem to some routing application that there
> is a kind of obstacle where in reality those ramps have to be
> constructed according to building standards and will always (?) be
> suitable for wheelchair users. I don't see a point in using a
> different highway-tag then footway (or maybe path).

I agree with Martin and others, it is a separate feature, but I do
think that it's also a distinct feature type and thus warrants its own
highway type, therefore I am going to go ahead and use
highway=access_ramp as David proposed.

92 uses so far, there will be some more once I finish my Map The U
project ;)  http://mapcraft.nanodesu.ru/pie/85

Thanks all for your input on this.
--
martijn van exel