[Tagging] Wheelchair ramp

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Fri Dec 2 04:31:03 GMT 2011

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I agree with Martin and others, it is a separate feature, but I do
>> think that it's also a distinct feature type and thus warrants its own
>> highway type, therefore I am going to go ahead and use
>> highway=access_ramp as David proposed.
>

> I agree that it might be desirable in some contexts (mainly
> statistics) to be able to identify these ramps distinctly, but for
> most contexts including routing it is the same as a footway. If you
> use a dedicated, low-use highway-tag you will risk to not get this
> feature evaluated at all (what is not desired here, IMHO). I suggest
> to use a subtag/attribute instead.

+1. I don't see the value in adding a new highway value. How do you
differentiate a ramp intended for the disabled and one intended for
all travelers? Thus I don't see it is substantially different than
highway=path. I'd favor highway=path + wheelchair=yes, and if you'd
like throw on access_ramp=yes as well which can give you special
rendering and stats if you'd like.
-Josh