[Tagging] Explain sport=multi

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Thu Dec 8 13:21:29 GMT 2011

Hi.
I would use it for sports facilities not dedicated to specific sports.
If you look at a typical sports stadium not dedicated to a soccer team,
you often have the running lane around, a sandbox for jumping, a
facility to do high jumps, probably even facilities for shot-put and so on.
Of course it's possible to map this in more detail and to get every
single field separated with distinct sport=* tags, but for the overall
facility and/or for an initial, rough mapping, sport=multi is fine for me.

Indoors you very often have gyms, where different colored lines mark
different kinds of sport fields, like basketball, soccer, badminton,
volleyball and more. But on top of that other sports usually are done
here by schools or other people - like gymnastics, dancing, aerobics or
others. So multi is most often better than a list of the specific sport
types done currently.

It's different for gyms operated by a specific sports club - like a
soccer club or a martial arts community, using the gym dedicated to the
specific sports done within that community.

regards
Peter