[Tagging] Multilevel buildings

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 09:52:39 GMT 2011

2011/12/22 Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>:
> 2011/12/22 Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com>:
>> Would I use two nodes in the same place for Everything $1.99 and 24 Hr
>> Dentist, with level=1 and level=2 respectively?
>

> I'd do it like this but use level=0 (ground floor) and level=1 (1st floor).

There is some docu here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Level
for levels it says:

"level=n (optional, but recommended) - indicates floor level as it is
indicated "in real world".
<n> is usually an integer number, sometimes also one or two
characters, sometimes combined (e.g. A,B,C,1,2,3).
in any case, <n> should be ascending (towards the sky).
in some cultures base level is indicated by level 0, in other cultures
basement is level 1 (or A).
there are also usages reported where fraction numbers are used (e.g.
level=2.5) indicating an "intermediate level" (e.g. intermediate
stairway platforms)."

It doesn't actually set a rule where to start. My suggestion is:
1st underground level: -1
ground level: 0
first floor (1st upper level): 1

using fractions for split levels could be an idea, but if it splits
into 3 levels this might get strange
(level=1.33333333333333333333333333333333) ;-)

cheers,
Martin