[Tagging] Rd --> Road

Martijn van Exel mvexel at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 16:39:39 GMT 2011

On 12/29/2011 10:35 AM, Richard Welty wrote:
> On 12/29/11 11:30 AM, Martijn van Exel wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just came across an area with some abbreviated road names. JOSM
>> issued a warning about this, suggesting I expand these 'Something Rd'
>> names to their full equivalents. Is this indeed common practice? If
>> so, this could be scripted, couldn't it?
>>

> it could be. however, automated expansion of road names can be risky
> (rd->road is fairly safe.)
>
> but i use the expansion locally as an aid for tracking what roads i've
> reviewed; i expand them
> when i remove the tiger:reviewed tags.

I appreciate the potential pitfalls with automatic expansion - in
general, I would not be in favor. I'll give it a try on my local machine
with this particular small region I downloaded.

About this tiger:reviewed -- what specifically needs to be reviewed for
this tag to be removed? I have personally never removed a
tiger:reviewed. Is this something that could be a JOSM builtin function
or plugin?

--
martijn van exel
geospatial omnivore