[Tagging] Variable max speed corridors

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 06:52:27 GMT 2011

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 11:31 PM, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/29/2011 11:12 PM, Martijn van Exel wrote:
>>
>> Variable max speed corridors are nothing new for Europe, but they
>> apparently are a novelty for the US.
>> Is there an established tagging convention for this?
>
> There's been one in Orlando for several years. I tagged it with the maximum
> possible speed and added a note.

I saw some along I-80 in Wyoming. I believe they lower the speed based
on weather conditions. Unfortunately I don't think I actually tagged
it but this is certainly useful information. I would agree that
maxspeed=* should be left alone and another specific tag should be
used. Perhaps the tag value could contain the reason for the
variability? So maxspeed:variable=weather/traffic_volume/time_of_day
or of course the aforementioned "yes" as a default value.

Toby