[Tagging] [Talk-us] Variable max speed corridors

Ben Laenen benlaenen at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 11:40:15 GMT 2011

On Friday 30 December 2011 06:32:43 Martijn van Exel wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 10:29 PM, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2011-12-29 at 22:12 -0600, Martijn van Exel wrote:
> >> Variable max speed corridors are nothing new for Europe, but they
> >> apparently are a novelty for the US.
> >> Is there an established tagging convention for this?
> >>
> >> http://www.katu.com/news/local/Variable-speed-limit-signs-are-coming-to-
> >> Portland-136326623.html
> >
> > For this area, the maxspeed will never be over 50 mph, so I don't see a
> > reason to change the existing maxspeed.
>
> I don't either. An additional tag may be appropriate though.
> maxspeed=signals is mentioned on
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_tags_for_routing/Maxspeed#discussed_
> future_extensions but that would override any fixed maxspeed. Maybe
> maxspeed:variable=yes.

I'm using these tags:

maxspeed=variable

and to specify somewhat to give you a range on what to expect:

maxspeed:variable:max=50
maxspeed:variable:min=30

It's mostly being used here for zone 30's near schools where the signs are
turned on when children are going to or coming from school, and also for
highways with digital speed signals.

Greetings
Ben