[Tagging] [OSM-talk] UK, Cardiff and Edinburgh, change capital=yes to capital=4

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 12:05:55 GMT 2011

2011/2/4 Nick Whitelegg <Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk>:
>>http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Admin_level

> If they aren't counted as national capitals surely it should be 3 anyway, as
> surely England, Wales and Scotland are the *immediate* next level down from
> the UK.

I don't know, this is best discussed on talk:uk I guess. It is quite
normal that there is no admin_level=3 btw. In Germany the
"Bundesländer" is admin_level=4 like the regions in Italy. If you are
unsure, you could also have a look at NUTS to make international
comparisons: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomenclature_of_Territorial_Units_for_Statistics

They are NUTS1 like the German Länder, while the French Regions are NUTS 2.

> A "group 4" entity in the UK would be something like
> "Northern England"

these are "cultural regions" and not administrative regions, so they
don't belong to any admin_level.

cheers,
Martin

BTW: Let's continue on tagging if we do...