[Tagging] Mountain passes

john at jfeldredge.com john at jfeldredge.com
Sun Feb 13 19:57:14 GMT 2011

I guess this partly comes down to the questions of how you define a way, and how you define a pass.  If a particular pass becomes little-used, because a tunnel or a lower pass provides an easier way to get past the mountains, does that make it stop being a pass?  What if the pass is a boundary between two nations, and the border crossing is closed because one or both nations don't maintain a customs station there?  Does that make the pass stop being a pass, in the geographic, rather than political, sense?