[Tagging] Mountain passes

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 14 00:32:26 GMT 2011

Am 14.02.2011 00:07, schrieb Steve Bennett:
> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 8:28 AM, Ulf Lamping<ulf.lamping at googlemail.com>  wrote:
>> P.S: What bugs me more is the (not so un)common practice to put the node
>> near the way (where the sign is?) and not exactly on the road. This makes it
>> difficult for renderers to detect the kind of way a pass "provides" ...
>
> That makes sense if you think of a pass being a locality ("we had a
> picnic up at the pass") rather than a particular road feature ("we
> drove over the pass"). I would probably do the same thing, naïvely.
>
> Probably a more intuitive tag would have been highway=mountain_pass
> (like highway=turning_circle...)

That was the start of the discussion in 2007, but was changed due to the
changes (around the same time) of highway=tunnel / highway=bridge to
tunnel=yes / bridge=yes - so using the same logic for passes seemed like
a good idea then ...

Anyway, every solution has it's pros and cons here.

> Also, it doesn't look like Mapnik actually does render it?
>
> http://osm.org/go/znyo7Chj2--

AFAIK, only osmarender at (too?) high zoom levels (from z15) and JOSM
renders it.

I would be glad, if Mapnik would render this as well. The same
zoomlevels and logic as for peaks (icon, name, ele at different
zoomlevels) would make sense for me ...

Regards, ULFL