[Tagging] Mountain passes

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 14 21:46:33 GMT 2011

Am 14.02.2011 22:22, schrieb Nathan Edgars II:
> On 2/14/2011 4:05 PM, yvecai wrote:
>> Actually, Mapnik would render a 'pointSymbolizer', how would it look
>> like? Just a label could be enough.
>
> Why not simply use the same style as place=locality?

Because I would like to see the elevation in the label - at least in
higher zoomlevels.

Basically the same behaviour as natural=peak would be my favourite.

> They fit the
> definition (in fact there seems to be no reason not to apply that tag to
> passes other than redundancy).

Well, tagging every unpopulated named place with place=locality is
really misleading. A football stadium is usually unpopulated and has a
name :-)

If we have a specific tag for a specific feature we shouldn't add more
generic stuff to it IMHO. Makes it more difficult to render without a
real benefit.

Regards, ULFL