[Tagging] airport vs. aerodrome

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 11:57:22 GMT 2011

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 10:13 AM, David Murn <davey at incanberra.com.au> wrote:
> One easy way to split airports is into those with RPT services and those
> with only GA services.  Most people not involved in aviation will only
> care about RPT airports.  AFAIK, the use of RPT/GA is fairly universal
> with a clearly defined meaning.

How about:

aeroway=aerodrome

aeroway=aerodrome
aerodrome:rpt=no

aeroway=aerodrome
aerodrome:ga=no
aerodrome:rpt=no

(the default being both rpt and ga = yes, on the basis that anyone
mapping smaller airfields is likely to know enough to add these
details)

Or I guess we could have "airport" being RPT, "aerodrome" being GA,
and "airfield" being others...but really, if the precise, unambiguous
terms are RPT and GA, it's probably better to just use those.

But I think this is still a side issue to the importance thing. Having
a split between RPT and non-RPT airports is clearly a useful thing,
but doesn't completely solve it.

Steve