[Tagging] Counterflow Lanes

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Mon Feb 21 15:47:53 GMT 2011

On 21/02/2011 02:51, Paul Johnson wrote:
> This whole question suggests that we're somehow responsible for data
> consumers paying more attention to their navigation than what's out
> their windshield, which is an entirely specious argument for obvious
> reasons.
OSM officially only does the data, not the rendering. If we tag this as
oneway=reversible (or any other explicit value which does not imply we
know the flow direction at any point in time) then we have done our bit
to address any potential liability on this point IMHO. The current
routing engines (and also preprocessors like mkgmap) are unfortunately
not always capable of processing complex turn restrictions, access
restrictions etc.and so are always likely to some extent to suggest an
unsuitable route. Let's get the underlying data straight, AND do what we
can to get the "consumers" of the data to fix up their end.

Colin