[Tagging] Long-distance scenic roads

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 02:40:24 GMT 2011

In the US there are two long federally-maintained roads, the Blue Ridge
Parkway and Natchez Trace Parkway, that were built for the sole purpose
of sightseeing. Since they are surrounded by a narrow strip of parkland,
access is only allowed at certain points, so they are technically
expressways (normally trunk in the US). On the other hand, they are not
intended in any way for utilitarian travel, and functionally fit
approximately as secondary or tertiary.

Tagging is thus inconsistent. It looks like the BRP was recently all
changed to secondary, but the NTP has portions of residential (obvious
BS) and primary. I'm pretty sure I've also seen trunk and tertiary used
in the past.

Does anyone have an opinion on how these should be handled?