[Tagging] Boston parkways, was Re: Long-distance scenic roads

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 02:16:58 GMT 2011

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 11:09 AM, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been on Route 2 there, and it goes nowhere near the Science Museum.

Yes, that's correct. Route numbers do not need to follow named roads.
That road's changing names & numbers are never ending source of local
trivia and can confuse even local OSMers.  In Greg's defense, his
daily commute uses the other part of Rt 2 in Cambridge.

Rt 2 leaves Rt 3 as 3 becomes Mem Drive, 2 then crosses into Boston;
US Rt 3 S diverges from MA Rt  16 W and continues on easterly on Mem
Drive and turns into MA Rt 3 at 2A (Mass Ave?) before it crosses
Longfellow Bridge aka Salt'n'Pepper Bridge into Boston (to followed by
 1-93 to Rt 128) - If Land Blvd which extends to MOS.ORG dam and the
Prison Pt Bridge has any route designation, I'm unaware of it. OSM
seems correct on this.

This inter-leaving of US 2, US/MA 3, MA16, and US 20 and MA 9 is
simplified in the folksonomy.

To add to the difficulty the emerald necklace MDC Parkways have the
obvious continuity even though they change name frequently and rarely
carry a route # for long.

The parkways that for a time carried US 1 S had it re-routed along
I-93 S and one exit of I-95 N and are no longer even badged 1A, though
some US 1 signs are as yet out there.  [
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/U.S._Route_1_in_Massachusetts#Relocation_in_Boston
]

--
Bill