[Tagging] [OSM-talk] Let's put more wikipedia-tags in OSM WAS Re: [OSM-dev] Some Questions about the Collaboration of OpenStreetMap and Wikipedia

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Fri Feb 25 03:46:06 GMT 2011

On 2/24/11 10:37 PM, Steve Bennett wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 5:35 AM, Josh Doe<josh at joshdoe.com>  wrote:
>> First thing I thought of when I read this is how we could really
>> benefit from UUIDs [1]. If we had those, and tagged OSM elements,
>> Wikipedia articles, and Flickr/Picasa/etc images, and who knows what
>> else, life would be so much better. :)
> Yeah. I've done a bit of linking from Wikipedia articles to relation
> IDs, but I'm reluctant to do too much due to the fragility of IDs.
>
> Still, it gives a good result - you get a link to *the bike path*, not
> to some random point along it.
i did one experiment with this, for county routes in Rensselaer county,
and am more-or-less happy with the results, but haven't pursued it
due to the impermanance of the ids. i'd like to see some progress on this
front. the stuff i did for this in wikipedia is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_county_routes_in_Rensselaer_County,_New_York

richard