[Tagging] How to tag pipestems (shared driveways)

Sat Feb 26 23:04:23 GMT 2011

At 2011-02-26 14:35, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
>On 2/26/2011 5:27 PM, Elizabeth Dodd wrote:
>>I'm not sure why you need to differentiate between this and a driveway,
>>but I think the driveway is mistagged if marked highway=service.
>>Do you mark the driveways access=private?
>
>The standard for driveways is in fact highway=service service=driveway
>access=private.

I don't feel the need to tag access=* on a driveway. It seems that,
wherever I draw a driveway, it's access is the same as the property to
which it leads, by definition. A standard residential house's driveway (in
the US) is on the private property of the homeowner. A driveway leading to
a park is usually on the park property and any restrictions are usually
posted at/near it's junction with the road, said restrictions applying to
the park, not just the driveway.

I think the pipestem thing is more detail than most people are likely to
want to map, unless you are micro-mapping for the purpose of facilities
management of a particular housing development. Where it is exaggerated
(hundreds of meters), I tag it highway=service + access=private (usually
with evidence from a posted sign at the intersection with the public road),
and then tag the individual driveways off of it as highway=service +
service=driveway (if I draw them at all).