[Tagging] How to tag pipestems (shared driveways)

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 08:52:02 GMT 2011

2011/2/27 Josh Doe <josh at joshdoe.com>:
> Again, I'm fine with not creating another tag (like
> driveway=pipestem), but the next best thing I can think of is to do
> something like "operator=123-129 Suburb Street" (as that's what's
> shown on signs, ugly for parsing), or perhaps I could create a
> "pipestem" relation showing which houses are responsible for the road
> :).

I think that if these roads have characteristics/properties that
distinct them from the rest of the highways (like maintenance, maybe
access, ownership) which all roads of this type (pipestem) share in
your area, IMHO you suggested the better solution by proposing a new
tag driveway=pipeway. Operator is not suitable (it is always different
and therefor you couldn't evaluate it the same way) and relations seem
just another way to tag the same thing in a more complex way (on the
other hand adding different detail, so it might be an additional way).

cheers,
Martin