[Tagging] designated bike lane

Ed Hillsman ehillsman at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Jan 1 13:08:23 GMT 2011

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 5:27 PM, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
 > Any suggestions how to tag this?
 > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:IMG_7491.JPG
If the "lane" is too narrow to function safely as a bike lane, then I
would break the street way at this point, code the portion of the way
that has the functional bike lane as cycleway=lane (if this is not a
dual carriageway then use cycleway:left/right as apporopriate), and
add a note tag that the bike lane going beyond is too narrow to serve
as a bike lane. If the bike lane widens some distance after the
restriction, then break the way again and tag that section with
cycleway=lane again, leaving the non-functional stretch without a
cycleway tag. My experience is that people who ride bikes on busy
streets (which this one seems to be) don't like surprises, so showing
a gap lets them know that something requires attention at that point.
I think we will see routing software in the very near future that will
list note tags.
Ed Hillsman