[Tagging] designated bike lane

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Sat Jan 1 17:12:15 GMT 2011

On 1/1/11 11:52 AM, Anthony wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 10:36 AM, Greg Troxel<gdt at ir.bbn.com>  wrote:
>> By trying to objectively tag the reality (not entirely possible of
>> course), we also avoid all the debates about what is and isn't safe in
>> general, and where the dividing line is.
> In this case I'm not even sure it's physically possible for a bicycle
> to fit in the supposed bicycle lane, let alone safe.
the debate over whether we should include judgmental informantion
in tags (especially for bike lanes) has been going on for a while.
maybe we need a tag which is understood to sometimes be judgmental.
for the lane depicted in the picture,

cycleway=lane
width=*
hazard:outside=barrier

where hazard is understood to sometimes be judgmental, e.g.

cycleway=lane
width=*
hazard=car_door

richard