[Tagging] designated bike lane

Elizabeth Dodd edodd at billiau.net
Sat Jan 1 20:23:19 GMT 2011

On Sat, 01 Jan 2011 10:36:54 -0500
Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com> wrote:

> If part of the goal is advocacy for bike safety, then I think it makes
> sense to find a cycling organization, like http://www.bikeleague.org/
> and to find out what their standards are for cycle lane safety, and
> then to have a scheme to represent conformance (but not tie that to
> "is it a bike lane").

agreed

In Australia there is a minimum width for a bike lane, which does not
include the concrete guttering. Anything less than this is not a bike
lane, whether it has a sign or not.
The local-sign-erecting-authority should also have a warning sign for
the bridge where the allocated space is just too small.

Bike_lane=undernourished
and
bike_lane=death_trap
are what spring to mind. I'd ride in the car lane or use another street