[Tagging] Ultimate list of approved keys

"Petr Morávek [Xificurk]" xificurk at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 10:28:42 GMT 2011

Ralf Kleineisel napsal(a):
> On 01/02/2011 05:42 PM, Robert Elsenaar wrote:
>
>> This was a expected answer. I frequently try to discover the reason OSM
>> mappers accepting this anarchistic rule of NOT having tagging rules at all.
>> What are the advantages for this?
>
> I prefer this over being told what I may map and what not.

Ah, usual pseudo-argument - the ultimate list of approved keys (let's
call it that way for now), would not limit you in what you can and
cannot map, would it?

AFAIK nobody has proposed to limit the content of the database only to
the approved keys, use whatever key/value you like; Not being on the
official list should simply mean that you probably won't see it on every
map renderer and in every editor preset.

Most of the software development world uses some kind of categories to
mark the maturity of their work. I hope that OSM will come up with
something similar. Having a list of approved, well-defined tags with
good usage examples, would make life sooo much easier for both data
consumers and data editors.

Current approval process is broken, combine this with the fact that main
documentation tool is wiki, which anyone can "improve" to suit his/her
needs in an undergoing argument, and what you get is simply put - chaos.

The theory about good tags evolving by themselves in the wild is nice,
maybe it was valid once, but current list of features is so long that I
really doubt that this process is working... An average newbie now just
takes a look at his/her editor preset and uses whatever's there, if it's
not there, take a look at the wiki or ask someone - I have done this and
I've seen a bunch of questions starting with something like "How should
I tag XYZ? I've looked into the presets of JOSM/Merkaartor/... and could
not find a good match." So the decision about what is a "good" tag is
shifting from the crowd to a smaller group of people anyway, you may not
like it, you may disagree with it, but that's pretty much all you can do ;-)

Petr