[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - sluice_gate

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Mon Jan 3 15:00:08 GMT 2011

On 03/01/2011 10:04, Ulf Lamping wrote:
> Am 03.01.2011 02:59, schrieb Paul Norman:
>> I've set up a proposal for sluice_gates, which are typically found on
>> small
>> waterways in agricultural areas at
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/sluice_gate
>
> What's the difference to waterway=weir?
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:waterway%3Dweir

A weir is an immovable barrier to retain water level:
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01789/Andy-Brown-bath_1789275i.jpg

Towards the top of that picture behind the larger tree is a sluice gate:

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/photos/17/89/178908_0f6d11ea.jpg

Which is a gate that can be raised to allow flood waters to pass through
quickly, or in some instances to deliberately flood land for
agricultural use:

http://www.nrm.gov.au/projects/vic/gbro/images/2006-08a.jpg

Cheers
Dave F.