[Tagging] Airport subtypes

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 00:06:05 GMT 2011

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 6:53 PM, Eugene Alvin Villar <seav80 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> A scan through the wikipedia gives me
>> international airport
>> domestic airport
>> regional airport
>> airstrip or airfield
>
> +1
>
> Why not adopt the usual subtagging scheme:
>
> aeroway=aerodrome
> aerodrome=international|regional|domestic|etc.

I have a feeling we discussed this a few months ago. My suggestion
would be to simply use numbers, if you're talking about a ranking
scheme:

aeroway=aerodrome
aerodrome_level=1|2|3|4|5

This avoids all the problems we get when one country uses "regional"
to mean something different from another, and the mappers there hate
using "regional" in a way that is non-intuitive to them. Whereas with
numbers, we can simply say "in Timbuktu, regional is a level 2, but in
Germany it's level 3".

Also, I definitely think we should try and align to external standards.

Steve