[Tagging] Airport subtypes

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 17:45:31 GMT 2011

2011/1/4 Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com>:
> I have a feeling we discussed this a few months ago. My suggestion
> would be to simply use numbers, if you're talking about a ranking
> scheme:
>
> aeroway=aerodrome
> aerodrome_level=1|2|3|4|5

I agree. This does not mean that we cannot additionally tag services
and facilities offered or characteristics like the length and surface
of the runway. (Maybe we also need even more levels, e.g. in German
discussions there were (maybe disputable) voices from people to even
tag RC-"Airfields" with these aviation tags).

For most people that try to render a map, a simple hierarchical
classification (like the suggested "aerodrome_level") is sufficient
(btw.: this does apply to almost all other features as well).

> Also, I definitely think we should try and align to external standards.

+1

cheers,
Martin