[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - sluice_gate

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 05:16:20 GMT 2011

  On 5/01/2011 3:18 PM, John Smith wrote:
> Perhaps a more generic approach would work, eg
> waterway=flow_control
> flow_control=weir|sluice_gate|flood_gate|spillway_gate|....
Yeah something like that would be reasonable. What I'd like to see a lot
more of is planning ahead: coming up with a scheme into which all future
subtags can be slotted. It's very hard to change a tag once it's become
popular. So perhaps:

waterway=dam (a wall with water on one side)
waterway=weir (a wall with water flowing over the top)
waterway=flow_control (an opening through which water sometimes flows).
flow_control=sluice_gate|flood_gate|spillway_gate|lock_gate...

Then we get people who know this stuff to try and find exceptions that
don't fit into the above scheme, and redesign it.

Steve