[Tagging] Differences in cycleways

Robert Elsenaar robert at elsenaar.info
Wed Jan 5 21:56:27 GMT 2011

In my study of the evolution of mapping cycleways in OSM I found out there
was a moment cyclistshad a problem to render lanes and tracks and had the
strong wish to create usefull cyclemaps. They did decide to avoid the render
problem en start mapping for the renderer. apperently they made the
descition to map all cycle pathes that are a little bit saperated  from the
car lane directly as highway=cycleway.
The advantages you mentioned by using seperated cycleway is just because a
leak in tagging possibilities.

Example:
========
Way 1:
highway=secundary
name=Duinweg
surface=asphalt
maxspeed=50

Way 2:
highway=cycleway
surfase=paving_stones
maxspeed=30

Solution:
============
highway=secundary
name=Duinweg
surface=asphalt
maxspeed=50
cycleway=track
cycleway:surface=paving_stones
cycleway:maxspeed=30

This kind of solution will make:
- mapping easier,
- tagging stays the same
- No missing intersections
- Routing keeps possible
- cyclewaytrack got at last a proper name
- Streetrelations becomes easier.

Wil it make a change in a approval process to develop a proposal on e.g.
..:surface=* ..:maxspeed=* etc,etc ?

-Robert-