[Tagging] Differences in cycleways

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 00:05:26 GMT 2011

  On 6/01/2011 8:56 AM, Robert Elsenaar wrote:
> Solution:
> ============
> highway=secundary
> name=Duinweg
> surface=asphalt
> maxspeed=50
> cycleway=track
> cycleway:surface=paving_stones
> cycleway:maxspeed=30
I think this has potential, and could possibly render a lot better than
having a separate highway=cycleway (which, in Mapnik at least, tends to
get buried under the road and not shown at all).

One situation that this would not cope with, that I see surprisingly
often around here, is where there is both a lane *and* a track.
Typically the lane is somewhat on the narrow side, and the "track" is
really just a footpath with signs designating it as acceptable for cyclists.

Not sure if this occurs anywhere else, but thought I'd mention it.

I would also suggest that if the above goes ahead, that there be an
alternative mechanism using relations that is considered "equivalent".
So, have a relation that links a track with a highway, giving some of
the above benefits.

Steve