[Tagging] Thoughts on how to replace or modify an exist/established tag (Was: Feature Proposal - RFC - sluice_gate)
deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 03:00:11 GMT 2011
On 6 January 2011 08:47, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm working on the basis that it's not possible to "move" any established
> tag. Would be happy to hear suggestions for how to accomplish that, though.
This seems to be an area that OSM *really* lacks, and some people give
usage of tags as a reason not to improve things which doesn't seem
like a valid argument especially when some tags like abutters and
created_by have been depreciated.
I'm spit balling here, but maybe one way to achieve might be to do the
1) Make a proposal and post to the tagging list asking for feedback/discussion
Wait a week or two after the last post and then:
2) Post to the talk list asking for feedback/discussion
3) About 2 weeks after the last discussion/modifications to the
proposal you post a vote request to both the tagging and the talk
Depending on the outcome of the vote, either too many against at which
point you could try modifying the proposal and going back to steps 2
or 3, or if the vote is successful or if there was a lack of interest
in the outcome you could jump to step 4
4) Update the wiki to reflect the outcome
5) Use the XAPI to find existing tags and mass retag using your JOSM
or any other editor that can handle OSM XML files.
More information about the Tagging