[Tagging] Thoughts on how to replace or modify an exist/established tag (Was: Feature Proposal - RFC - sluice_gate)

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 06:46:46 GMT 2011

  On 6/01/2011 3:26 PM, John Smith wrote:
> Exactly, this is why I'm advocating some kind of policy on how to
> achieve tag updates in a much more reasonable time frame.
In your thinking there seems to be the assumption that we run some
process *per tag*. I think it works better to run a process *per schema
revision*.

Let's say we think that there will be a revision on January 1 next year.
You might have a process like this:
Jan-Mar: Suggestions for tag changes, stored in some structured location.
Apri-Jun: Discussion on tag changes. Unpopular proposals can be killed.
Popular ones need to be fleshed out
Jul: Voting on tag changes. Votes could be "yes", "no", "needs more work".
Aug-Sep: Writing up of spec for tag changes, explaining what's going to
happen.
Oct-Dec: Implementing new spec across all editors, renderers,
documentation etc.
Jan: go live with new schema, commence discussion for the next round...

Something vaguely along those lines anyway. 12 months? 6 months? Who knows.

Steve