[Tagging] Thoughts on how to replace or modify an exist/established tag (Was: Feature Proposal - RFC - sluice_gate)

Vincent Pottier vpottier at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 10:12:45 GMT 2011

Le 06/01/2011 05:07, Steve Bennett a écrit :

> Putting in place a serious process for tag migration will be
> difficult. I suggest that a first step will be definition of an actual
> schema, with version number. For example, define an actual list of
> several hundred tags, with semantics, that correspond to "OSM core
> 1.0". Then, we could have votes on changes to the schema, with advance
> notice given: "On November 1, 2011, the main database will be updated
> to OSM core 1.1. Please have your editor and renderer patches ready
> for this date."
>
> Not easy, and I don't think the OSM community is at that level of
> process maturity yet.
>
> Steve
It is quite easy to use the wiki by using subpages for metadata
(semantic...) on tags (and reusing those data in the main page). e.g.
* Tag:boundary=administrative
* Tag:boundary=administrative/meta
    # gathering 'per versio'n changes : e.g.
** 201104:added
** 201207:obsolete;use "Tag:boundary=admin"
* Tag:boundary=administrative/Core_201104
* Tag:boundary=administrative/subscibers e.g.
** JOSM:category:geography
** mapnik:*

With a Caterory:Core_201104 page gathering the tags

The metadata subpages can be accessed in raw format easy to parse.

Have a look to :
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Besan%C3%A7on/params
that is used in :
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Besan%C3%A7on
and other pages

Maybe it is not a standard tool in version tracking, but it remains
strait closed to the documentation. A boot could build standard tool
from it.
--
FrViPofm
rather wiki user than version user...