[Tagging] Thoughts on how to replace or modify an exist/established tag (Was: Feature Proposal - RFC - sluice_gate)

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 6 22:43:52 GMT 2011

Am 06.01.2011 23:06, schrieb Simone Saviolo:
> ... but in fact the map is not reliably usable.

Fine, if you think OSM is working unreliably - just go on and start your
own reliable project :-)

If you set up something like an "OSM core profile" and the majority of
people find it useful, this might - in the future - become an addition
or exchange of the current wiki page anarchy - when people agree that
it's more useful than the current wiki thing. Side note: The Map
Features is basically already such a thing.

I've seen several of such discussions over the OSM years passed now -
and I just habe some serious doubts that this will happen. BTW: I did
intense analyzing of the existing features and I can tell you that even
this took a *lot* of time. Don't underestimate the effort for such a
culture independent profile (if this is possible at all).

What most people completely seem to miss here: The current "wiki
anarchy" just shows, that finding a clear and valuable (definition of a)
tag is *much* more dfficult than most people can even imagine ...

Regards, ULFL

P.S: Reading this thread, I've already seen a lot of bullshit bingo
candidates, being "process maturity" one of the most valuable ;-)