[Tagging] Thoughts on how to replace or modify an exist/established tag (Was: Feature Proposal - RFC - sluice_gate)

Ralf Kleineisel ralf at kleineisel.de
Fri Jan 7 19:43:11 GMT 2011

On 01/06/2011 10:03 PM, Simone Saviolo wrote:

> I suggested that some users with proven credentials be put in charge of
> their own matter: for example, that one or more doctors in Civil
> Engineering took care of the Civil Engineering course. I was told that
> that's not how a wiki works and that a "wiki"versity should be open to
> anybody's edits - I left the project because then the Wikipedia effect
> is always latent: anyone could put any garbage in it and it may go
> unnoticed.

There is another wikipedia effect, very prominent in the German
wikipedia: over-regulation, deleting useful edits because some admin
thinks it's not relevant enough, no matter how well he knows that field
of knowledge.

In the real OSM world I haven't seen much garbage. There are always
newbies who don't know the established tags, and there are a few
controversial tags or how to handle a complex multipolygon, but overall
my observation is that the map is already very good.