[Tagging] boundary=town, place=town

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 01:05:48 GMT 2011

On 9/01/2011 11:48 AM, John Smith wrote:
> On 9 January 2011 10:48, John Smith<deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On 9 January 2011 10:39, Steve Bennett<stevagewp at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>   Can anyone tell me the difference between these two tags? Only place=town
>>> appears to be documented. Both have ~~4000 usages on ways.
>> The place marker should be part of the boundary as well, because the
>> centre of the boundary and the centre of the boundary will rarely be
>> the same thing
>>
> boundary/area/place
Sorry, I don't follow. There should be a place=town node that is part of
the boundary=town way? How could the centre of the town be on its boundary?

But anyway, I'm specifically asking about boundary=town ways, and
place=town ways. Should a town have both a place=town way and a
boundary=town way? If so, what's the distinction?

Steve