[Tagging] Towing service?

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 10:54:43 GMT 2011

2011/1/9 Stephen Hope <slhope at gmail.com>:
> I'm starting to be convinced that there is a cultural disconnect with
> the word craft. To me (and I suspect most English speakers) there has
> to almost be an arts aspect  for something to be a craft. Whereas I'm
> starting to get the impression the German use is closer to what I
> think of as trade or profession, and this is the way the tag is being
> used.

yes, (because there is e.g. the DE:"chamber of craft"=Handwerkskammer
which is (was before EU introduced different rules) regulating the
right to exercise a certain profession).

But they are not in charge of all professions but only for some ---
for a German mapper this might be a "natural" division, while for the
rest of us it may be simply not logical / transparent ;-)

As it doesn't actually matter which words for tags we use, as long as
their use is generally agreed (see highway for instance), I could go
on with craft in the way it is currently defined.

cheers,
Martin