[Tagging] Differences in cycleways

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 18:29:00 GMT 2011

On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 7:12 AM, Richard Mann
<richard.mann.westoxford at gmail.com> wrote:
> No. As I said earlier in this discussion, even when there are
> highway=cycleway ways, I leave the cycleway=track tag in place on the
> road (and indeed add it if it isn't already there), so that both
> tagging styles are available for data users. It is much easier to
> render the cycle tracks beautifully (unlike ocm, for instance) if the
> cycleway=track tag is used.

So how does a renderer/router know if a nearby cycleway is the track
referred to by the tag on the roadway, or if there's another unmapped
cycleway between that one and the road? (This could happen, for
example, if a rail trail parallels a road with a sidepath.)