[Tagging] outdoor nature bath

Johan Jönsson johan.j at goteborg.cc
Mon Jan 10 17:10:32 GMT 2011

Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at ...> writes:
> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 12:30 AM, John Smith
> <deltafoxtrot256 at ...> wrote:
> > On 10 January 2011 01:42, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at ...> wrote:
> >> I can't comment on the rest, but sport=swimming is incorrect unless
> >> the area is for competitive swimming.
> >
> > -1
> >
> > Swimming pools don't have to be for competitive swimming, eg kiddy
> > pools, but they aren't for bathing in either.
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:leisure%3Dswimming_pool

sport=swimming does not seem like a good tagging of a general bathing area.

The sport-key suggest, as Nathan says, a connection to the more devoted
swimsporters, a place with sport=swimming probably should have the possibility
to swim whole lengths. This could well be the cause in many bathing places, like
public swimming baths with 25 or 50 meters pools, those can of course be tagged
with sport=swimming too.

What I am looking for is a more general tag to say that it is a place to go for
a dip, maybe stay the day sun-bathing or swimming if suitable for that.

p.s.
Regarding the tag swimming_pool, there is a proposal for leisure=swimming_pool
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Swimming_pool
and another entry for amenity=swimming_pool
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dswimming_pool
they state that these are for both leisure and sport.
d.s.