[Tagging] tagging world heritage (UNESCO) and other protected areas/features

Vincent Pottier vpottier at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 16:00:25 GMT 2011

Le 11/01/2011 13:34, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer a écrit :
> Looking up the wiki there are several proposals for protected / listed features.
>
> 1.
> The oldest is this:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/unesco_world_heritage
> suggesting historic=unesco_world_heritage
>
> actually I'd like to deprecate this because using the key historic
> will create collisions on many features (that are historic themselves,
> like historic=archeological_site), and there is the more detailed (2)
> covering the same features.

+1
> 2.
> There is also this:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/heritage
>
> The page suggests to use abbreviations as values, which is not
> according to our general tagging rules (and IMHO pointless, why not
> use the full word and get a more understandable mapping?). But there
> are some useful ideas for subtags on the page.

Because a monument can be registered by the UNESCO, the French
"Monuments Historiques" and others, and may have several refs.
Because writing "ref:monuments historiques et sites" is quite tidyous
Because in France, on boundaries, we use the tag 'ref:INSEE' (for
Institut National de la Statistique et des Études Économiques)

But if it is necessary...
> another issue I have with this: the use of the key "operator". IMHO an
> operator is someone who operates the site. In the case I'm currently
> tagging this is a government agency. AFAIK the unesco does not operate
> themselves any of the listed sites.
OK, If there is something best... It is still a proposal...
> 3.
> The most universal feature is IMHO this:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:boundary%3Dprotected_area
>
> allowing for cultural, natural and other protection types. A problem
> might arise if a feature is at the same time protected for different
> reasons.
>
> IMHO we could try to unify those different proposals. Are there
> already practical experiences / tags in wider use? Are there other
> proposals covering the same issues?
But the heritage tag may be applied also to a node, to a way... not with
boudaries

Someone on this list, some times ago, said he prefered an other key, but
I don't remember... maybe "protection"...
Something more general sounds good for me.

The idea is to record that something is registered, by the UNESCO or
other organisation, for cultural, historical, environmental... reason

You have best ideas than mine ? You are welcome.
It is still a proposal...
--
FrViPofm