[Tagging] new key civilization

Johan Jönsson johan.j at goteborg.cc
Tue Jan 11 18:58:39 GMT 2011

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at ...> writes:

> What do you think of a key: "civilization" ? This could be used to
> describe the people that built a certain feature
> (mostly historical intentions).
> Values could be:
>
> etruscan
> roman
> greek
> egyptian
> mayan
>
> cheers,
> Martin
Good idea!
Maybe use a word more connected to "time".
Maybe "era" instead of civilization?
When I read civilization, I thought it was supposed to tag
UNESCO world heritage :-)

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Building_attributes
have a somewhat similar proposal on:
building:architecture
That is supposed to be used to describe from which architectural period
the building is made in, or made to look like.
It have been well received, so will your suggestion be too, I think.

historic=archaeological_site could use this to.
In archaeology they speak of:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archeological_culture.

Just some random ideas (a bit off-topic maybe) from me: Johan Jönsson