[Tagging] RFC: historic:civilization and historic:period Re:new key civilization

robert at elsenaar.info robert at elsenaar.info
Thu Jan 13 15:33:36 GMT 2011

In holland we have a saying: Better to turn back halfway then get lost
at the end.

Means that if you look at the more and more popular way of tagging. It
is wiser to you this on this occassion and correct the alt fashion
tags. Last year the :right and :left subtag is a big use to a lot of
main tags like highway, cycleway and so on.

syntax: <main tag> : <sub tag> = *

Everytime creating a new main tag when you in fact want to add a sub
tag like fortification_type in stead of fortification:type is not very
efficient.
I plea for introducing the sub tag ":type" for using on fortification,
but also on e.g. museum (wild guess).

(And I think I already saw the sub tag came by: tree:type ?)

-Robert-