[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Emergency Traffic Signals

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 02:45:43 GMT 2011

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 3:06 AM, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've already been using highway=traffic_signals
> traffic_signals=emergency (as well as traffic_signals=blinker for a
> single-ball blinker and traffic_signals=blink_mode for a standard
> signal that's in permanent blink mode), so I agree with that part. No
> comment on emergency=*, and I oppose treating bridge/tunnel signals
> the same as those in front of fire stations.

I agree with this approach.

I see it as: Is this entity fundamentally a traffic signal, or is it
fundamentally emergency-related equipment? I say it's the former.

Alternatively: is it better if a renderer shows all traffic_signals
the same (failing to distinguish emergency ones), or all emergency
things the same (failing to distinguish traffic signals from, say,
fire extinguishers). Again, I say the former.

Steve