[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - sluice_gate

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Tue Jan 18 00:25:38 GMT 2011

> On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 2:36 PM, Paul Norman <penorman at mac.com> wrote:
> > The question is, what else would go there? Flood gates don't belong
> > there - that's the *usage* of the gate, not the *type* of gate.
>
> From a technical perspective you may be right, but practically speaking,
> we should design tagging schemes with usability in mind.
> People are likely to know that "there is a flood gate", not that "there
> is a hinged crest gate".
>
> So something like:
>
> waterway=flood_gate
> flood_gate=sluice_gate
>
> ...is more usable for non-techie nerds than something like:
> waterway=flow_control
> flow_control=sluice_gate
> usage=flood_gate

Most of the sluice gates around here are not flood gates. For some of the
ones I've mapped I'm not sure if they're flood gates or not, but I know
they're sluice gates because that is obvious from a quick look while to say
if they're flood gates or not I would need to know how they're being used,
when they're opened, etc