[Tagging] Tagging Metropolis

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Tue Jan 18 21:20:04 GMT 2011

Additionally there are a lot of Capitals not being big cities in the world:

According to Wikipedia (de) the capital of Belize, Belmopan has a
population of 8.130 people (2000), while Belize City as the biggest city
of Belize has ca 50.000.

Or take the Sucre, the capitol of Bolivien (193k people) and compare to
Santa Cruz de la Sierra (biggest city of the country) with 1.1m people.

To sum up other countries:
Côte d'Ivoire: 200k vs 3.6m
Myanmar: 97k vs 4.5m
New Zealand: 178k vs 1.3m
Nigeria: 180k vs 9.2m
Pakistan: 670k vs 12.8m
Palau: 391 vs 11.200 :D
Tanzania: 160k vs 2.4m

even the US with Washington DC (500k) vs New York (>8m) are a good example.

So I think: The distinction between Capital and metropolis is an
important one we should not mix up.

regards
Peter