[Tagging] Tagging Metropolis

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 11:27:55 GMT 2011

2011/1/19 John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>:
> On 19 January 2011 14:17, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem here is subject v objective tagging, in terms of airports
> this can be objective stated based on international flights a day and
> the same with cities, if you want to indicate population tag
> population, take for example some regional 'cities' in Australia some
> have 50,000 or less people but still call themselves a city.

This would still be "objective" in respect to the surroundings. It is
important to notice that one scheme regarding only population for
place as the current wiki definition could be interpreted, won't work
on a global basis. This can also work on a regional basis, and there
it is indeed possible to identify the reasons for a classification.

Last night I made a proposal how we could deal with this problem in
general, and "invented" some new place values. When looking at this I
made up my mind and came to a different system (subtagging), which is
described in the second half of the page:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/new_place_values

cheers,
Martin