[Tagging] Tidal inlets / creeks

Ulf Mehlig ulf.mehlig at gmx.net
Wed Jan 19 15:11:17 GMT 2011

As has been said before, it does not make too much sense to map the
coastline along the mean high water level in mangrove areas and
(probably) salt marshes, which +-always are below the HMWL. Here in
north Brazil, I just map the non-vegetated, flooded areas as sea, having
mangroves, beaches and marshland on the landward side of the coastline
(using multipolygons tagged as "natural=wetland, wetland=mangrove",
which integrate coastline segments as outer borders). PGS data shows, by
the way, mangroves as "sea" in many areas around here (not everywhere,
depending probably on the remote sensing technique applied).

A benefit of having a specific tidal channel type (linear way) would be
the possibility to name the channels (and maybe also to attach
information as viability for certain types of vessels).

Regards, Ulf

 Ulf Mehlig <ulf.mehlig at gmx.net>