[Tagging] tagging capitals

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 12:35:51 GMT 2011

2011/1/21 Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 12:06 PM, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer
> <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Regional capitals are mostly not tagged at all with a capital key. I
>> suggest to keep capital=yes for national capitals and use e.g.
>> capital=4 for the capital of an admin_level=4 area. This would keep
>> consistency in our data and allow at the same time for simple
>> evaluation.
>>

> Why not using the admin_centre role in the boundary relation ?
> Country capitals are admin_centre of relation boundary admin_level=2,
> regional capitals in boundary admin_level 4,etc...

Of course, why not? I didn't write you shouldn't do this (you should
do this addionally, if there is a relation). The above is suggested
for easier evaluation and for easier mapping (not everywhere there are
boundary relations or even boundary ways). To use the admin_centre
role in the relation you would at least have to be able to code C in
order to change osm2pgsql, for the tagging approach you would have to
do nothing but a rule, because
the capital tag is integrated in the standard osm2pgsql-config and
already gets imported into a standard rendering database.

cheers,
Martin